Logo

drjeff1

ear infection and my lab

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Anonymous 13 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I have a 2 and half year old lab that has had an on going ear infection. it started last april and has yet to go away for any length of time. He has been on several antibiotics including amoxicillin, a steriod shot, and a third i can’t remember the name of. the only one that worked was the steriod shot but i refuse to keep giving that to him. I have ear cleaner and a medicated flush but ia m afriad to use either because his ear drums might be ruptured. it is getting bad again and i am frustrated and broke. does any one have any suggestions on how i can deal with this very stubborn infection! some thing that can atleast lesson the pain and irritation for him until i can get more testings done?
    thank you

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=buddhababy97]does any one have any suggestions on how i can deal with this very stubborn infection![/quote]

Ears are tough!! That’s for sure. It’s important to start looking at these recurrent ear “infections” as what they truly are. That is, an internal (not just ear) imbalance which has made the ear susceptible to bacterial and yeast *secondary* infections.

Most commonly these have an allergic basis. Processed, grain-based diet is almost always part of the problem.

Try upgrading the diet, stay away from gluten (wheat, barley, rye and bran)add fatty acids including omega-3s and use TrizEDTA or Zymox for ear cleansing. Stop trying to suppress the problem (e.g. with antibiotics or steroids) as this may help temporarily but will certainly cause other problems.

I also strongly advise working with a homeopathically trained vet who will treat the underlying problem. This will both help the ear issues as well as prevent more serious problems later on in life.

Good luck with this difficult problem.

Dr. Jeff

Anonymous

thank you so much. anything is helpful at this piont.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!