Logo

drjeff1

dogs and water and teeth brushing

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Anonymous 12 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hello all,

Ok I know the title seems a little chaotic but such is my life right now. We are preparing to bring home a full bred Akita puppy (8 wks) on March 2nd. I am really wanting to start off on the right foot while he is a pup.
    I have two questions for now.
    #1 My Hubby is so worried about if our dog will like water. His childhood dog put up an absolute hissy fit when bath time rolled around. Akitas can get very large so I guess my question is How do we get our dog to become accustomed to baths? I hate to fight about it for the rest of his life. Is this just a given that a dog will fight back every time? The breeder suggests baths every 3 weeks so not too bad.
    #2 How often should I be brushing his teeth? Every night? Once a week? Thanks so much for any and all advice!

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=Timber07′]How do we get our dog to become accustomed to baths?
    #2 How often should I be brushing his teeth?[/quote]

1. Akitas don’t often need bathing. If you want to get him used to it then the key is positive reinforcement, go slowly, and [b]start young (now)[/b].

2. Depends on the diet. If he is eating a RMB (Raw Meaty Bone) diet then tooth brushing is rarely required. Otherwise brush daily or at least a few times a week using a tartar control toothpaste (CET brand makes this).

Dr. Jeff

Anonymous

Thank you!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The forum ‘New Pets and Training’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!