Logo

drjeff1

dog peeing and desexing

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 13 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I have recently started a new relationship. My boyfriend has a two Border Collies, I have a Boxer and two King Charles spaniels. We are now a family of 5 dogs. One of my boyfriends dogs, the male, pees all over the outdoor furniture. I have a large back yard but he continues to lift his leg on the furniture. The dog has not been de-sexed, he is around 5 years old. I feel that if he was de-sexed, his behaviour may change for the better. Any ideas on this dilemma and if de-sexing is not the answer is there any other deterent to the problem.
    thanks,
    Jennie[list][/list]

Anonymous

The dog has already claimed your outdoor furniture as his own and left his scent all over it and turned it into his personal bathroom. So even if you were to get him neutered it’s not going to magically make him start peeing on the grass again. It’s like a tree to him now.

It’s a dominance issue..Behavioral training would probably help more. Maybe the dog figures because it is outside, he can pee on it. Maybe try going out there with him and train him like you would housebreak? Telling him NO when he goes near it..put him on a leash to pee if you have to. And use something to clean it to get his scent off it and using one of those smell things like bitter apple to keep him away from it..

Other than that I don’t really know how to fix it. You’d probably get more help if you can find a dog behavior forum..Yahoo groups probably has some. They’ll probably tell you to get the dog fixed because of all the homeless puppies out there..but it’s not a quick fix. 😕

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=jennie]I feel that if he was de-sexed, his behaviour may change for the better. Any ideas on this dilemma [/quote]

It certainly is possible that neutering will help though as the other poster noted it may not help at all (that would be unusual).

Regarding dominance, you can start playing “Nothing in Life is Free” and that will definitely help any dominance issues.
    [url]https://www.homevet.com/petcare/documents/nilif.pdf[/url]

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Dr. Jeff

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The forum ‘New Pets and Training’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!