Logo

drjeff1

Dog in Pain? Shattering my nerves!

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Anonymous 13 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hi, my 5 month old Lab/Chow/? was recently diagnosed with Demodetic mange, teatment with ivermectin every 2 weeks for 3 doses has just finished but I have been told that it might have been better to leave the treatment as his immune system will take longer to mature and the Mange should clear up in time anyway.

But my question is, could this be causing him pain?

For 4 days he has been “quite” normal, not as much energy as usual, but still Eating, drinking, pooping and peeing, playing a little, but it seems when he is lying down at night and tries to get onto his belly/feet he wimpers a bit.

But sometimes when he is lying still on the floor he will start to scream like someone has just trodden on him but no-one has, he will stop about 5-10 seconds later, if you try and touch him when he is like this he will scream more.

I took him to the Vet yesterday and he was examined, but he showed no sign of being in pain, the vet pushed and poked various parts to induce a reaction but my puppy just looked at him blankly.

He said that it could be inflamation from the mange, and prescribed Dexametasona 0.5g and said I should give him one every 6 hours. I gave him one at about 9.30 last night and he still screamed about 5 times in the night.

I don’t know what to do about it, I can’t sleep, neither can he. I work in a hostel in Guatemala and so him screaming makes people think someone is killing him, and that is not good for thier relaxation, and no good for Caleb if he is in pain, so I need some ideas of what I sould try.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks,
    Chris & Caleb

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=GuateChris]
    But my question is, could this be causing him pain?

But sometimes when he is lying still on the floor he will start to scream like someone has just trodden on him but no-one has, he will stop about 5-10 seconds later, if you try and touch him when he is like this he will scream more.

I don’t know what to do about it[/quote]

Good morning Chris-

First of all, Demodex is not painful. These mange mites are found on virtually every dog. They only cause dis-ease when the immune system is not working properly (as you already know).

Do you have access to a homeopathic vet in Guatemala? What about your ability to obtain a homeopathic remedy?

Regardless of your answers it sounds to me like you are seeing a manifestation of suppression syndrome. That is, there may very well be nothing specific “wrong” except the symptom itself.

Often the sequelae of skin treatment can cause a more distressing manifestation of the underlying imbalance which caused the skin symptom in the first place. Often a homeopathic remedy can correct this imbalance and resolve the symptom.

More info will be needed though to figure out a remedy. Your local vet homeopath will want to know what else is going on with your dog. Is he clingier trhan usual? Does he want to be left alone more than usual, e.g. going off to be by himself. Is he seeking warm or cool spots or acting hot or shivering? Any other symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea, coughing or sneezing? Is he drinking more or less than usual? Does the screaming symptom only occur during sleep? Only when awake, etc.?

Good luck. Homeopathic treatment can probably help this symptom and prevent deeper manifestations of the imbalance in the future.

Anonymous

Toothache,

His new fang on the left side has broken the gum line NEXt to his milk tooth.

It wobbles lots and I hope it will come out, but I think I will have to have it removed, what can you suggest for toothache?

Best regards,

Chris & Caleb

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!