Logo

drjeff1

Dog has skin problems, itching, bad odor

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Dear Dr. Jeff:
    My dog, Jaime, is almost four years old. He has been biting at himself and scratching himself. He has chewed on himself to the point that he has raw, open sores on his legs. Last year the vet diagnosed him with flea allergy dermatitis and gave him a prednisolone shot and antibiotics. He’s now worse than ever, despite changing to premium food (he’s on Prairie Chicken and Rice right now). He also gets a bad odor only days after a bath, and he itches even immediately after a bath. I have tried giving him supplements such as a digestive enzyme, and ester-C; I was told to try giving him venison-based dog food, in case he’s allergic to chicken, and to limit supplementing his diet any further. Any ideas or suggestions? Thank you. crystallynn.

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=crystallynn]Any ideas or suggestions?.[/quote]

Many ❗

What else are you feeding and what other supplements have you tried (omega 3 or 6 fatty acids, antioxidants, zinc or trace minerals, etc.)? Any fresh or raw food? Often these skin symptoms are related to improper diet and other deficiencies.

Do you indeed see any fleas? Has there been a skin scraping or fecal test for internal parasites?

Any new cleaning products, wool rugs, recently painted areas, etc.?

This type of itchiness is often related to an internal dysequilibrium that needs to be addressed homeopathically. Personally I would advise working with a vet homeopath before you do anything else. Go to [url]http://www.theavh.org[/url] for a referral.

Dr. Jeff

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.
You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!