Logo

drjeff1

Do you have any suggestions to help regulate my diabetic cat?

Welcome to your reliable resource for online holistic veterinary help Forums Pet Owners Forum Medical Problems Do you have any suggestions to help regulate my diabetic cat?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 7 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Question: onset of diabetes(IDDM) approx. 4 months ago. did not respond to humulin type insulin; switched to lente- beef-pork, still not responding. at 2 u 1x/day. now i have changed his diet to high fiber science diet WD food. any suggestions ? should i seek out pure beef insulin? i had another diabetic cat 3 years ago and did not encounter insulin resistance… help!

Sex: Male Neutered

username: [email protected]

Pet: Feline

Breed: DSH

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

Your vet needs to determine whether you are dealing with a problem with insulin resistance or of insulin absorption. I find the easiest way to do this is to run serial blood glucose tests after administration of Regular Humulin insulin. This is the best absorbed form, and if an appropriate dose doesn’t decrease the glucose level significantly, then true insulin resistance should be suspected. Infections, hyperadrenocorticism, acromegaly etc. can all cause insulin resistance. Where do you live? Do you have a veterinary endocrinologist or internist nearby?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!