Do I have to give antibiotics after oral surgery?
Welcome to your reliable resource for online holistic veterinary help › Forums › Pet Owners Forum › Surgical Problems › Do I have to give antibiotics after oral surgery?
January 26, 2006 at 7:01 am #2505Anonymous
I finally had my dog’s tooth extracted and everything went well. There wasn’t any abscess before the surgery but they gave me antibiotics for prevention. After some research and talking with others who have been through it.. I decided not to use them.
They sent him home with antibiotics and I can’t decide if I should use these either. I understand about bacteria possibly getting into his system and causing more problems. But if he hasn’t had an abscess yet, why would he get one now? I’m also giving him a herbal immune system booster and detoxifier so wouldn’t that take care of any bacteria anyway..
JenJanuary 29, 2006 at 1:05 pm #2506Dr. Jeff FeinmanKeymaster
[quote=OneStepCloser]I finally had my dog’s tooth extracted and They sent him home with antibiotics and I can’t decide if I should use these[/quote]
I apologize for the delay in getting back to you, but the board has been down for a few days.
There is good rationale for use of antibiotics *immediately* after dentistry or especially after dental surgery or tooth extraction. The mouth is full of potentialy harmful baceria. Intact tissues in the mouth as well as strong local and systemic immunity help maintain equilibrium. When the mouth-blood barrier is breached (such as with the bleeding present in dental surgery) bacteria can enter the blood stream. Antibiotics are given prophylactically,
Of course, there are no studies that show that this practice is warranted clinically, and I almost never reccommend it (perhaps I would in an immune-compromised individual).
When a patient is responding well to a carefully chosen homeopathic remedy, is eating a species-appropriate diet and is not getting overvaccinated or suppressed the “terrain” of the body is optimized. These individuals rarely get secondary infections of any sort.
Bottom line in this situation (whether to use “prophylactic” antibiotics) is that you should educate yourself about the options, and then talk to your vet about this topic (and others like diet, suppressing symptoms, vaccination, etc.). It is very important that the two of you are on the same wavelength so that you can help your dog get the best health care possible.
- The forum ‘Surgical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.