Logo

drjeff1

Discoid Lupus treatment

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 13 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hi, I am the owner of an 11 year old English Setter who was just diagnosed w/Discoid Lupus. (through nose biopsy). It’s discoid Lupus which is only on his nose and a little bit on his lip. Does not seem to bother the dog at all. Our current vet recommended putting him on steroids for “a long time” and then gradually lowering the dosage when the nose looks like it starts to clear up. We strongly feel that these steroids would do more harm than good in the long run. Also, the dog is still active and very healthy otherwise. His blood tests that were just run came back perfectly normal ranges. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem with their dog and what other alternative treatments are recommended? We’ve been keeping him out of the sun as much as is possible, and applying sunscreen to his nose.. Surprisingly he doesn’t lick it off!!

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=Enslynn]what other alternative treatments are recommended? ![/quote]

First of all I applaud you for realizing that the steroids could do “more harm than good in the long run”. Aside from the long-term drug effects you have to worry about chronically suppressing the immune system (which is the [i]goal[/i] when treating immune-mediated disorders). In addition, I never recommend suppressing the body’s attempt to express itself through symptoms (read my holistic overview for more general info [url]https://www.homevet.com/newclient/rules.html[/url]).

As you probably know, Discoid Lupus is in the spectrum of auto-immune diseases that include the more serious Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE or just “Lupus”). These conditions (as well as allergies in general and even cancer) are due to derangements of the immune system. This is a very deep systemic indication that there is a systemic (energetic) imbalance.

Although I advise you to listen to your veterinarian, in my practice I do not suppress symtoms of dis-ease. Rather I would make sure that the diet is optimized (meat-based, no grains, some phytonutrients in fruits and veggies, e.g. a kale and blueberry cocktail) and use indicated supplements to help optimize the healing response (by providing all of the raw materials necessary for maximal healing). I then start the homeopathic remedy which will stimulate the body (rather than suppress it with drugs) to heal itself.

My experience treating dogs with this particular diagnosis is that it is often seen in the same patients who have had previously treated allergies, e.g. skin itching/flaking/odor, ear “infections”, etc. It can sometimes take years to get an unstable immune system like this back in balance (and rarely it is even impossible) and resolve the symptoms.

The good news is that as you work to resolve this problem with homeopathy you also greatly reduce the risk of future immune-related problems later in life. It’s kind of like working out at the gym. You may work hard and not get quite the body you like but you will be in better health regardless.

Good luck and please keep us all informed of your progress.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!