Logo

drjeff1

Diet for male cat w/hx of struvites

This topic contains 6 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Anonymous 11 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

We just got a cat who is 8-9 yo. He has a history of struvites. We are currently feeding him Innova, but we have been told that this product can be a problem with struvite cats. We haven’t changed yet because we don’t know what to change to.

We are considering a raw diet made with ‘Feline Instincts.” Is this a good idea? And in the meantime, until we can get that started, what do we feed him? Do we keep him on the Innova? Do we switch him to California Naturas, which my vet (who admittedly knows little about natural foods) says she’s seen less struvite problems? Do we switch him to Innova Evo canned, which my pet store will be getting in two days?

I’m trying to head any problems off at the pass, but I don’t want to upset him by switching foods too quickly or often, and I just don’t know what to feed him.

Thanks,
    Caat

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=bigcaat]We are currently feeding him Innova,

We are considering a raw diet made with ‘Feline Instincts.” Is this a good idea? And in the meantime, until we can get that started, what do we feed him? Do we keep him on the Innova? Do we switch him to California Naturas, Do we switch him to Innova Evo canned, which my pet store will be getting in two days?
    [/quote]

Congratulations on your new kitty and for being proactive about dietary therapy.

Innova wet or dry?

A switch to Feline Instincts or any fresh food is a GREAT move.

Make sure that you are using a variety of high quality wet foods mixed with chicken broth or water to try and minimize further crystal formation. Cranberry extract and vitamin C can help as well with resultant UTIs.

There is minimal diffference btweeen the brands you mentioned (same manufacturer). What about Wellness, Petguard or Precise Plus canned foods?

Evo canned is also great though has more fat and calories so be careful about watching his weight.

Remember, the keys in good diet are freshness and **variety**. See my short article at [url]https://www.homevet.com/petcare/diet.html[/url] for more info and browse my other diet articles for futrther help.

Dr. Jeff

Anonymous

[quote]Congratulations on your new kitty and for being proactive about dietary therapy. [/quote]
    Thank you. He’s a sweetie.
    [url]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v471/bigcaat/Cuba/Cuba007_RJ.jpg[/url]

[quote]Innova wet or dry? [/quote]
    Wet. Definitely. And we always put water in. The only time I feed him the dry is to use it for treats.

[quote]A switch to Feline Instincts or any fresh food is a GREAT move. [/quote]
    A good thing to know. We will now just have to decide on a routine to make sure he is safe from bacteria. I was thinking organic ground turkey. I used that once before for a cat I had who was sick. I read your article. If we do that, is it required that we give beef once in a while, or can we stay with poultry as long as we’re mixing in the supplements? (I’m a vegetarian, so I’m new to buying meat.) I will buy the chicken liver supplement from Feline Instincts, as well, so I don’t have to deal with liver.

Also, I had considered getting my raw food from here:
    [url]http://www.primalpetfoods.com/feline/raw_frozen_grinds.htm[/url]
    The frozen grinds, but then I would have to thaw it to mix with the feline instincts and then refreeze it. The lady at Feline Instincts says that’s okay to do, but I’m not sure. Maybe I should just buy fresh from the health food store?

[quote]Make sure that you are using a variety of high quality wet foods mixed with chicken broth or water to try and minimize further crystal formation. Cranberry extract and vitamin C can help as well with resultant UTIs. [/quote]
    I think the Innova has cranberry in it, which is why I liked it, but my vet said she’s seen a lot of struvite problems with it. Maybe then, it’s the grain. That’s why I thought about the EVO wet. No grains.

[quote]There is minimal diffference btweeen the brands you mentioned (same manufacturer). What about Wellness, Petguard or Precise Plus canned foods? [/quote]
    I did find one place, about 25 minutes away, that carries Wellness, but no place carries the Petguard. Maybe the health food store carries Precise, I’ll have to look. The Wellness concerned me because fish was high on it’s ingredient list. Isn’t fish not a good thing for struvites?

[quote]Evo canned is also great though has more fat and calories so be careful about watching his weight. [/quote]
    We are concerned about his weight, he has had a problem, but now that he’s with us, he’s dropping that weight considerably because he gets regular exercise, and no longer has unlimited access to dog food. I like the idea of the EVO, I just want to make sure I’m not simply buying into advertising.

So, it sounds as though my best choice of all of these, however, is the raw. I do want to find a canned food that is good for him though, especially for times when we go away and such, I don’t want to trust sitters with raw. Perhaps when the EVO comes out in a couple of days we will try that and then switch him over to the raw when we get the supplements and get a routine down. You said in your article you liked variety. Is there any problem feeding him raw for one meal and EVO or Cal Naturals or Wellness for the other? Or is it best for him to be on just raw or canned and keep the variety within each type?

Thank you Dr. Jeff.
    Caat

Anonymous

I have just come onto the board today. This is exciting for me, because I am searching for answers to this dilemma:

A couple of weeks ago, my 13 year-old cat had surgery to remove struvite stones. He is now on a wet and dry diet of Hill’s prescription diet and s/d (I am assuming struvite diet).

Our home burned up last June, and we are now living in town. He used to be an inside/outside cat, and caught much of his own fresh meat, as well as grasses.

I don’t know about you, but I would definitely get sick of eating out of a can and bag all the time.

It seems impossible to get information about what foods I can prepare for him myself. I realize everyone needs to make a buck, but I would like to go to the organic coop or health food store and make something up myself.

So, is there a list anywhere on what foods I can give him that will acidify his urine, besides cranberries and cranberry juice? Also what to definitely avoid?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=obsidiancat]is there a list anywhere on what foods I can give him that will acidify his urine, [/quote]

I agree!! Eating the same food over aand over is boring and not healthy. In my opinion the best way to prevent stone formation is a combination of homeopathic treatment, fresh, home-prepared diet and appropriate supplementation.

For home-cooked diet recipes I recommend both Dr. Pitcairn and Dr. Strombeck’s excellent books. In my practice, most of my clients don’t use any specific recipe and tend to avoid most of the grains which are in them (meat-based diets are more species-appropriate and more acidifying for the urine).

Read some of my diet articles for more info. Also look at
    [url]http://www.felinefuture.com/nutrition/[/url] for some great tips. I’d also advise seeking out a veterinary homeopath to help address the internal issues which predisposed to the stones in the first place.

Good luck!

Dr. Jeff

Anonymous

Thanks, Dr. Feinman, for those tips.

Can you give a little more information on Dr’s Pitcairn and Strombeck? I’d like to know the titles of their books, plus who publishes them, and where I can get them.

Thanks a lot – all information is appreciated!

Anonymous

Hi all and I am so glad to have found you!

Our Zoey (male) blocked a few years ago and after bladder sugery and three days in the hospital we were determined to keep that from ever happening again if possible.

Thankfully after months of frustrating attempts at a regulating Zoey’s pH our vet put him on 1/2 tsp of dl-Methionine and since then he has had no problem. We now hometest his urine with a pH meter every couple of months. We also send his urine to the vet once or twice a year to make sure all is well. His last test showed his pH at 6.5 but indicated a few Triple Phosphate crystals. Our vet says this is OK as long as his pH is normal. Comments/opinions, Dr. Jeff??

I am certain that wet food is much better for him than dry but he is a die-hard dry food eater and all attempts to change that have failed miserably. Our other guys love raw but he turns his nose up at anything other than Fancy Feast Fish/Shrimp and ProPlan Fish in aspic. That’s it. I have recently learned that fish or fish flavored food can promote crystals and stones! UGH! So he’s off of that. He eats Wysong Nuture right now but we are about to switch to a Wysong kibble (Uretic) that is designed for struvite prevention.

I am always looking for natural ways to keep him healthy and I am soooooo opened to comments and suggestions! Sorry for the long post, haven’t had time to create a profile. Thanks in advance!! Donna

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Diet and Nutrition Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!