Logo

drjeff1

Cushing’s Disease

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 14 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I have a dog (5 years old; Colie-Retriever cross) recently tested with elevated levels of liver enzymes. For further investigations, our vet ordered ACTH and low dose dexamethasone suppression test. Her cortisol levels were not significantly suppressed. Our vet found the results inclusive for cushing’s. My understanding is that for PDH (Pituitary-Dependent Hyperadrenocorticism) the response may be variable and the cortisol levels may not be suppressed with low dose dexamethasone.

While my dog has expressed no clinical signs or symptoms at the present time, I am concern that if she in deed has cushing’s and the diagnosis is missed, then the appropriate treatment may be delayed. I wonder if anyone you have experienced same problems and would provide any advice. Watch and wait as suggested by my vet is a bit stressful.

Teresa.

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=puppy88]
    While my dog has expressed no clinical signs or symptoms at the present time,

Watch and wait as suggested by my vet is a bit stressful. [/quote]

Good morning Teresa-

I agree with you that watchful waiting may not be the best option in this circumstance. I agree 100% with your vet however that drug treatment for assymptomatic Cushings is not appropriate (and has no long term benefit with potential toxicity).

So what to do? When I see a patient like this we start a course of clinical nutrition (diet optimization including supplementation) and constitutional homeopathy. In my experience, [u]if you stay on this path[/u] then it is extremely unlikely that you will ever need to treat more aggressively.

My best advice therefore is to start working with a homeopathic vet while continuing to monitor biochemically. Even if the “Cushings” is not totally resolved with homeopathy you will be preventing future problems and reducing the likelihood that toxic drugs like Lysodren (which is a DDT derivative) will be necessary.

Good luck.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!