Logo

drjeff1

Cruciate ligament partial tear

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 7 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Question: X-rays show partial cruciate ligament tear in back right leg with significant arthritis in the knee. Hips okay. History of surgery two years ago with articifical ligament insertion in back left leg which is fine at this point. Cosequin DS 3 capsules a day given to dog for the last two weeks appears to be helping. Weight reduction
    suggested (80 lb. big female) to lessen
    stress on knee joints.
    Questions:
    Partial tear surgery with natural
    tissue repair just as successful as
    artifical ligament replacement?
    Anything else to do other than
    Cosequin/weight reduction to help
    the dog? Is surgery inevitable?
    Thank you for your input.

Sex: Female Neutered

username: [email protected]

Pet: Canine

Breed: Labrador Retriever

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

To answer your last question first, the improvement you have seen in just two weeks means that you may very well be able to avoid surgery. Cosequin takes at least four weks before full results are seen. I would also be supplementing with Antiox-50 (grape seed extract 50mg) which is a joint specific natural antiinflammatory twice a day. Four 1,000mg fish oil capsules per day are also very useful. Glycoflex is another natural supplement which I would consider adding to the regime. It contains alfalfa and brewers yeast as well as perna extract which helps support the joints. I have also had considerable success using Chinese herbal therapy for joint problems, but this may not be necessary if you use everything else I mentioned, and get her to lose weight.

Good luck!

Dr. Jeff

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Surgical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!