Logo

drjeff1

Crate Training new pups

This topic contains 3 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 12 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hi, I’m so glad I found this forum and have been reading everything I can find on crate training pups especially in respect to potty training. My husband and I are picking up two pups who will be six weeks old next week and I would like to crate train them. I have never crate trained before, but I see that it is the best thing for the whole family. I was wondering about the span of time in the crate specifically at night. Being six weeks old when we start with them….is this to young to crate train them? If not, is it best to wake them up every two hours at night or do I try to let them wake me? (this could be difficult for them to do). I want so badly to get this right so that they can train me well… we are retired and can devote all of our time to correctly training the little guys. I am bringing home two brothers for a long and loving relationship, and I can Not Wait. So, just to be sure you get my question. Should I wake them up to take them to the litter box, or will that create a different problem?

Anonymous

congrats on your new pups…I crate trained my pup when she was 8 weeks old. Mine woke me up due to her NOT wanting to pee where she sleeps, BUT all dogs are different….I would wake them every 2-4 hours and take them out it seems like alot but their blatters are small. My pup is now 12 weeks old and goes anywhere from 5-6 hours a night! What kind of pup is it? Remembr just be patient and they will get it.

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply…the pups are chihuahua. We are so excited to pick them up Christmas eve day. I am thinking that I will let them sleep together in one crate until they get familiar with our home. They are brothers so they should provide comfort for each other. Good to hear that we wont have to get up every two hours forever….ha. Hopefully they will learn quickly and we will do everything correctly in their training. Thanks for the reply.

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=ocexpress]I was wondering about the span of time in the crate specifically at night. Being six weeks old

.is this to young to crate train them?

Should I wake them up to take them to the litter box, or will that create a different problem?[/quote]

Congratulations on your new puppies. You definitely should start crate training right away. Read my puppy training guidelines which include how to crate train. Basically, at this age, they wiill likely need to GO OUT (do not paper or litter box train as this teaches them that it’s OK to eliminate in the house) 1-2 times overnight. Do not wake them up but keep them close so that you can take them out in a timely manner when they wake up.

It is also very important to starrt socializing these puppys separately. Take them out in the car or visiting others ONE AT A TIME. Otherwise they will bond too closely with each other and not with you. Read the “How Dog’s Think” article in addition to the puppy training series.

Most of all. Have fun with your new pups! They will be wonderful lifelong friends.

Dr. Jeff

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘New Pets and Training’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!