Logo

drjeff1

Congestive Heart Failure – Enalapril and Lasix

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 13 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I have a 14 year old Lhasa who is struggling with congestive heart failure. He’s been on Enalapril for about 1 1/2 years and was put on lasix this past February. Since then he has been scratching and biting himself all the time. At first I thought he had airborne allergies (I moved to FL for 4 months (Jan-April) but after I moved back to CT he seemed fine for the month of May and then the scratching started up again. I’ve tried a number of ointments, sprays, shampoos, etc. and nothing seems to work. Now I’m more convinced that it’s an internal problem.

I haven’t changed his diet (I’ve been feeding him Innova for most of his life) so I’m starting to think he might be experiencing a side effect of the enalapril and/or the lasix; or maybe he’s deficient in potassium from the lasix.

I was ready to add potassium supplments to his diet until I found some literature that indicated that the supplements would react adversely with the enalapril.

So, now I’m not sure what to do and would like to hear back from anyone who has any knowledge about what I might do for him.

Thank you,
    Jeanne

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=jeannez] put on lasix this past February. Since then he has been scratching and biting himself all the time.[/quote]

Hi Jeanne-

I agree that the Lasix is suspect in this situation. Since of course the diuretic is important in the management of his congestive heart failure you should talk to your vet about modifying the dose or trying a different diuretic, e.g. spironolactone.

Does he eat any fresh food? Adding some to his diet should help tremendously and at this age you may even want to consider getting him off commercial food altogether.

You should also strongly consider adding fatty acids and other supplements to his daily regimen, e.g. Formula CV, antioxidants, omega-3s etc. which will help support both his heart and skin.

Good luck. Please let us know what you do.

Tony Scott
    Keymaster

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for your suggestions. I will speak with my vet about switching him to a different diuretic. In the meantime, do you know if adding the pottasium supplement will adversly react with the enalapril?

I do feed him fresh food every day, but use the kibble as a base – only 1/3 of a cup each day. I do currently add supplements, but will begin adding fatty acids to his diet on a daily basis as well.

Do you have any thoughts on a more holistic approach to treating his congestive heart failure? i.e. hawthorne berry, spirulina, chlorella, ginger, L-Carnitine and Taurine?

Thank you,
    Jeanne

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=Anonymous]
    Do you have any thoughts on a more holistic approach to treating his congestive heart failure?[/quote]

Fresh diet, lots of antioxidants including blueberry-kale cocktail, Nu-Pet chewable wafers (a potent antioxidant blend), Formula CV (a synergistic blend of supplements and vitamins), Coenzyme Q-10, omega-3 fatty acids, extra vitamins A, C and E, dimethylglycine, etc.

These supplements are all very useful and can be used along with constitutional homeopathic therapy (which is even more important than the supplements).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!