Logo

drjeff1

CHF and allergies

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 13 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

My 14.5 year old, 12 lbs Pomeranian Kirby was diagnosed with congestive heart failure several months ago. He is currently on .5 mg of Enaparil, .4 cc of Hawthorne tincture and 10 mg of coenzyme Q10.

His diet is Innova Evo kibble (always available) and 1 – 1 ½ oz of Natures Variety Organic Chicken each day. He gets 100% dried chicken or liver for treats or some of the Newmans organic treats occasionally. The chicken and liver are not organic. He does (once a week or so) get a raw chicken leg, wing or liver and gizzard when I can find free range, no hormone chicken. I have been feeding this diet for the last 9-10 months or so and he has lost almost 2 lbs (he was 14 lbs) and has more energy.

In the last week or so he has started having sneezing, runny nose and eyes and some head congestion. I was concerned it was the CHF getting worse, but I took him to the vet today and she said his lungs are clear and thinks it might be allergies, which he has had his share of in his life. She actually was pleased with how he is doing and says his weight is good for his size. She did not want to give us anything for the allergies because of the heart condition. My vet is open to me finding holistic solutions, but has admitted that it is new ground for her, but she is willing to listen and learn. She was actually the one who found the hawthorn solution since she felt the lasix he had been on was too hard on his kidneys. My vet does have some concern with me feeding raw because she recently read an article on ecoli being found in chicken. I didn’t argue, but everything I have read says that raw is the way to go and the risk is minimal to dogs.

Do you have any advice as to what we can do to alleviate Kirby’s allergy symptoms without compromising his heart condition? I am assuming his allergies are pollen and such because mine have also been flaring up recently.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Charlotte

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=Bremsech]
    Do you have any advice as to what we can do to alleviate Kirby’s allergy symptoms without compromising his heart condition? I am assuming his allergies are pollen and such because mine have also been flaring up recently.
    [/quote]

Hi Charlotte-

First I want to say welcome and I am so glad that Kirby is doing well. That’s wonderful that your vet is willing to integrate some natural medicine into his practice.

There are lots of holistic and natural options for allergy improvement. First and foremost would be to stop the commercial diet and anything containing grains/carbs. Fresh food feeding of meats, poultry, fish, etc. is the way to go here. There are even commercial foods that are viable in this case such as ZiwiPeak form New Zealand, Wysong Archetype, Honest Kitchen Force/Embark or many of the fresh frozen diets, e.g those from Bravo or Canz. In addition you should be adding phytonutrients such as those from steamed kale and blueberries.

For specific supplement recommendations take a look in the allergy section of this websites store ([url=”https://www.homevet.com/osc”]https://www.homevet.com/osc[/url]). In general, fatty acids and antioxidants are a mainstay. In Kirby’s case I would also use Respirall for allergy support.

Good luck and keep up the good work with Kirby.

Dr. Jeff

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!