Logo

drjeff1

Chewing on paws

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 12 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Manny, my 4yr old shepherd/lab mix has started to chew on his two hind feet. He’s only been doing this for about a 4 days, but his feet are starting to get red and raw.

I ruled out the cause being something he stepped in due to it’s only his two hind feet and not his front paws. I figured if it was some kind of foreign irritant it would affect all his paws.

It may just be a coincidence, but he started doing this a couple days into a weeklong of caring for my brothers dog while they were on vacation. My brothers dog, Rocky, came to our house with 3 items, his leash, his dog food, and his Benadryl that he takes when he starts chewing his hind feet too much. Rocky’s vet diagnosed him with allergies as to the reason for his feet chewing.

Again, this could just be a coincidence, but could my brothers dogs problem somehow affected my dog?

To give him some relief until his appointment next week, i was thinking of washing his feet and applying some hydrogen peroxide to stave off an infection. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=jr365] could my brothers dogs problem somehow affected my dog?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.[/quote]

Manny’s foot chewing may indeed be coincidence, it may be a learned (copied) behavior, or it may be result of stress or any number of other factors.

For the red sore areas Aloe vera is most effective. Buy some 99-100% pure gel at the health food store and massage it in three times a day (any he licks off will also help internally). Warm epsom salt soaks and/or cool compresses of the feet can also help.

In general, itchiness of any kind (e.g. due to allergies) is an external expression of some internal imbalance. Allergy is really just a non-specific immune hypersensitivity which results from this imbalance. Any topical or systemic anti-itch treatment can only provide a temporary bandaid for the underlying problem. Homeopathic treatment however can be permanently curative (my own lifelong allergies were cured by homeopathic treatment and this in fact is why I became a homeopath).

Dr. Jeff

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!