Logo

drjeff1

Cat won’t eat after moving to a new house

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Question: I am worried about my cat’s lack of appetite. A week ago we moved from an apartment into a new home, which is much larger than our apartment. At first he acted curious, but would still eat. However, I knew he was stressed out, as the day after we brought him here I found him laying in his litter box … which he has never done before. That only continued for about a day. Then his place to “hide out” became under our bed .. which is fine as that is where he would often sleep at our apartment. However, beginning about Friday evening (3 days ago) he wouldn’t eat. I’ll ask him to come eat and a few times he would come downstairs with me to his food bowl, but then he’ll just stand there and look at it. If I move him closer or put the bowl in his face he will just walk away. Then he’ll just go back up under the bed. Since it has been about three days now I am getting worried. So to end my long-winded explanation, I am concerned about whether this behavior is normal or if it is something that I should be worried about? If it is serious, what can I do to help him to start eating again?

Thank you very much for your time and comments.

Sex: Male Neutered

username: [email protected]

Pet: Canine

Breed: Himalayan

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

Moving can be a very traumatic experience for a cat. Not eating well, and acting strangely is very common for upwards of two weeks. Make sure you keep him locked up in your bedroom, and don’t even offer him the opportunity to explore the rest of the house. Feliway spray and diffusers (which deliver a calming pheremone)should help.

A new, larger home with strange smells and sounds is very overwhelming. Make sure he gets plenty of TLC during this time. After 2 weeks, you can start gradually exposing him to other parts of the house. In addition, I would be concerned about any other underlying internal disorders in a cat of this age. You may want to have a physical examination and CBC, biochemical profile run just to rule out this possibility.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!