Logo

drjeff1

cat w/ diarrehia

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 13 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

😥 I noticed last evening that my cat of a little over a year old was walking with his tail down and seemed to arched a bit. I checked him out and he was messed with poop from diarrehia. I cleaned him up and that seemed to help him walk a bit. He still has the poops but seems normal otherwise. I was going to withhold food until this evening which would be 24 hours. Is this okay? I know when my dog had the runs months ago, the vet told me to do this. The cat seems happy. He uses the litter box but some runny spots come out after he walks up the stairs. Not much just a small amount.
    Thank you for your help!

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=katie17]I was going to withhold food until this evening which would be 24 hours. Is this okay?![/quote]

Yup. Withholding food for 12-24 hours is generally a very good way to begin dealing with acute diarrhea. It is safe unless there is a concomitant medical problem, e.g. Diabetes Mellitus. You can also offer small amounts of bland food like cooked, pureed white meal chicken or a natural meat-based baby food to help him get over this.

If the diarrhea persists you should get a stool sample to the vet to rule out parasites. In addition, if he starts acting systemically ill in any way while having the diarrhea, he needs to be checked by your vet.

Good luck.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!