Logo

drjeff1

Cat has sores, hair loss

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Anonymous 13 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hi there,

I have four cats (three are mine, one is my sister’s). All have been recently switched to a raw diet (Healthy Paws). I mention this because since the switch, I have noticed some problems with my oldest cat Bunny. I don’t know if the two are related or not. (Note – I don’t know her age, as she was a stray. She came to me pregnant, and my other two cats are her kids – they are 5, so she is somewhere over 5 or 6 years old!)

She was quite overweight (20 lbs, she should be about 11-12) and since starting on the raw 2 months ago has lost about 4lbs. But she has developed several sores, two on her chin and most recently one on her front leg.

The two on her chin were surrounded by black, crusty fur, I think as a result of her scratching at them and making them bleed (they are scabbed). She’s lost some hair around them, not much. The one on her front leg though consists of several raised red patches, sort of like scabs but not crusty, and the fur around them looks as if it has been shaved off on a perfect rectangle. I haven’t noticed her scratching or licking at it any more than usual – she was unable to groom herself properly while overweight but has been grooming a lot since losing some weight, since she can finally reach.

She has also lost interest in the raw food. I’d been feeding chicken, then tried them on a beef – two cats loved it, but Bunny turned her nose up at it and now doesn’t seem to want the chicken either. She is still eating – gave her some salmon this morning – but yesterday she threw up a small amount of bile.

Someone suggested acne, but would this occur on her leg as well? Looks more like sores. Could it be an allergy to the new food?

Thanks for your help!

Tracy

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=Waywardsister]Could it be an allergy to the new food[/quote]

Good morning Tracy and welcome to the message board-

What you are experiencing is a relatively common phenomenon when a cat (or dog) is switched to a fresh food diet.

Basically, the new diet is now providing the proper raw materials for her body to function properly. When a pet is fed a processed food, their body is not strong (“vital”) enough to show us what is going on internally.

Development of skin eruptions (“sores”), diarrhea, vomiting, etc. is usually *not* due to a problem with the food (though as you mentioned there rarely may be an allergy or intolerance).

The best action at this time is to start working with a well-trained homeopathic veterinarian. S/he will use your cat’s new-found vitality to help achieve a higher level of health which will lead to a longer and happier life.

Good luck and please let us know how it goes.

Dr. Jeff

Anonymous

Thanks for your reply. I was wondering if this might be a detox process.

I’m concerned though about her eating – she’s eating only a little bit, mainly drinking water. She’s more lethargic than usual as well these past few days, lust lying around. I get paranoid when a cat’s eating habits go off, since one of them developed fatty liver previously and it was AWFUL to treat.

A frind of mine suggested treating her eruptions with calendula and aloe. Anyone had any sucess with this, or with treating eruptions?

Thanks,

Tracy

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!