Logo

drjeff1

Cat diabetes diet

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 12 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

My cat is 14 and newly diagnosed with diabetes. I’m looking to supplement the insulin shots with a better diet. I don’t want to cut out canned food because he loves it. My vet said he had a dry food that would help but I would have to cut out the canned food (friskies) because it would contradict what good the dry food would do.
    I understand something like Wellness canned food would be good, but is it good for diabetes and would it not work with the diabetic dry food? I’d like to let him eat both, like he does now.
    He also takes medication for hyperthyroidism. I’m worried about him continuing to lose weight. He’s at 13.5 lbs now. But he was heavier.

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=no1dude]My cat is 14 and newly diagnosed with diabetes. I’m looking to supplement the insulin shots with a better diet.[/quote]

Excellent!! Diet is extremely important in management of feline Diabetes Mellitus. In some cases a high quality meat-based diet (with minimal carbohydrates) will reverse early diabetic changes. Wellness [b]canned[/b] food is a great choice.

I also strongly advise you to do some reading on dietary management of diabetic cats. You can do so at my site or at [url]http://www.catinfo.org/felinediabetes.htm[/url] Also, sugarcats.com has a great community of diabetic cat owners and is dedicated to feline diabetic management.
    Dr. Jeff

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Diet and Nutrition Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!