Logo

drjeff1

Carsick Puppy

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Anonymous 12 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hi. This is my first post to this or any of the forums, but I have been reading for some time. I have a 16wo BC pup that suffers from carsickness. Her first car ride was her trip home from the breeder; I held her in my lap and yes, she vomited. Since then, every car ride results in nausea.

I carry her in a crate secured behind the front seats so she is not bouncing around over the rear axle. I have tried blocking the view, and not blocking the view. I have tried positioning her crate side to side and front to back. I have tried different vehicles, short trips, longer trips. No change.

She doesn’t whine, she doesn’t struggle. She doesn’t make a big deal about being sick, she just throws up, then eats it and apparently is no worse for wear. If she’s travels on an empty tummy, she vomits bile–she doesn’t eat that.

I have several other dogs, all retrievers. None of has ever have gotten car sick, not even after eating. So I’m kind of at a loss here.

The pup eats raw and is being raised naturally. What can I give her to prevent carsickness? Is ginger really effective? Is there a remedy I might try? For that matter, should I? Or does this just go away with time?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Chris O

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=ChrisO]I have a 16wo BC pup that suffers from carsickness.

Is ginger really effective? Is there a remedy I might try? For that matter, should I? Or does this just go away with time?
    [/quote]

Hi Chris-

Yes, car sickness in pups often resolves as they mature. That being said, you can try a ginger capsule ([url]https://homevet.com/osc/product_info.php?products_id=23[/url]) 1 hour before riding or Rescue Remedy (upon getting in the car and every 5-10 minutes afterwards). Also, some dogs that vomit in the car do better in the front seat, with the windows open, or when the car is going slowly (but not on curves).

Most importantly, you want to make riding in the car fun (and easy) so don’t stop exposing her to car rides. Start with short, slow rides to the park (or other fun places). Work up the length of the trip as she improves.

Also, car sickness is sometimess just one clue that a dog needs constitutional homeopathic care. I strongly recommend consulting an experienced vet homeopath to augment the other wonderful natural rearing which you are doing with your dogs.

Dr. Jeff

Anonymous

[quote=drjeff]Also, car sickness is sometimess just one clue that a dog needs constitutional homeopathic care. I strongly recommend consulting an experienced vet homeopath to augment the other wonderful natural rearing which you are doing with your dogs.

Dr. Jeff[/quote]

Ah yes, that has already been mentioned. I am headed in that direction, certainly. Thanks for the advice….
    Chris O

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The forum ‘New Pets and Training’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!