Logo

drjeff1

canine kidney diease

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Tony Scott
    Keymaster

Hi Dr Jeff, I got your name from Dr Mike Kaufman in Fl. My 5 and a half year old golden retriever is failing rapidly with a nonspecific type of kidney disease. I’m feeding him a low protein, high potasium diet but he’s not eating regularly. He’s on prednisone and pepsid AC. He’s anemic and the shots are $65 ~ he needs 2 per week to go for a very short walk. Is there any hope?

Thank you,
    Kelly Z.

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=kellyz] Is there any hope?
    [/quote]

Hi-

I’m so sorry to hear about your dog. Kidney failure in such a young Golden is a real tragedy. Up here in CT glomerulonephritis secondary to Lyme disease is the most common cause for this fatal disease.

Unfortunately I do not have enough information about your dog to help that much. In general, feeding a very high quality, palatable fresh food diet is best in these (and many) situations. Specific supplements that can help include Coenzyme Q-10, omega-3 fatty acids, renal glandulars, specific antioxidants, trace minerals, etc.

If you *register* for this board and login you can send me a private message (PM) and I will be happy to help however I can. We can keep any general discussion in this forum, but I’d still appreciate your registering and becoming part of our growing community ūüėÄ .

Good luck, and let us know what’s going on.

Dr. Jeff

BTW-Say hi to Dr. Mike

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.
You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!