Logo

drjeff1

Can I help my dog with lymphosarcoma?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 7 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Question: diagnosed w/ lymphosarcoma. samples taken from each area by needle aspiration for cytology. also checked for valley fever and tick fever. given injections of oxytetracycline and dexamethazone and prescribed doxycycline tablets (100mg), 2 tabs, twice daily. swelling went down overnight. results of tests. no valley fever; no result re tick fever; positive for lymphosarcoma.

questions: get 2nd opinion? get additional tests? type of treatment? what is the likely prognosis? what will the symptoms be as she gets sicker?

she is eating well, very energetic and playful at this time. it has been one week since she was examined.

our family appreciates any information you can offer.

thank you

Sex: Female Neutered

username: [email protected]

Pet: Canine

Breed: english bulldog

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

(SEE BELOW!!)

I’m so sorry to hear about your dog. The diagnosis of lymphoma is best made by a biopsy rather than an aspirate (the former gives a much bigger test sample for the pathologist to read than the latter), however her response to the steroid indicates that this is indeed the likely diagnosis. I would strongly consider starting her on a chemotherapy protocol right away. The dramatic response to the steroid alone shows that she will likely be very responsive to the chemotherapy drugs. The odds of a remission on chemotherapy are good when treating lymphoma, and dogs don’t suffer the same side effects that we do. All of my clients who have treated their lymphoma dogs with chemotherapy would do it again. The quality and potential quantity of her life if she achieves remission will be excellent. I do advise that you talk to your vet about his experience with chemotherapy protocols, and if he is not comfortable, then you should see an internist or oncologist who is.

[b]NB: I have included this archived reply by me because it reflects my thinking 15 years ago as well as the current conventional approach. However, it is almost 2012 and I am older (and hopefully) wiser . Nowadays I do not advise chemotherapy to many of my clients. There are situations where it may be indicated but every patient needs to be approached as an individual. Lymphoma is still one of the most responsive cancers depending on the stage and cell type (B or T cell). I personally would probably treat my own pet with lymphoma using nutritional and homeopathic means.[/b]

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!