Logo

drjeff1

Cairn Terrier

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 12 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Here’s a quick question that I didn’t see an answer to.

I just purchased a new puppy. It is a Cairn terrier. I realize that in order for the pup to not have any accidents in the house, I should take it out for walks frequently, which I do. Problem is, my pup walks in line with me, literally, right on my heels. At all times, she is right in line with me. It actually looks like a trained dog walk, from a real dog show. With this, she has NEVER gone to the bathroom outside!

I think if she was willing to leave my side, start sniffing around, and become a little more curious of the surroundings, she might start to go outdoors.

Any suggestions? Thank you.

[email][email protected][/email]

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=Springfield-R] At all times, she is right in line with me.

she has NEVER gone to the bathroom outside![email][email protected][/email][/quote]

It sounds like she is not associating going outside with eliminating. Take her out frequently, but only for to urinate or defecate. Then go back inside. Take her out separately if you are going to walk or play together. Be sure to get her out immediately upon awakening, after eating, drinking, getting excited (for whatever reason), etc. Read the puppy house training handouts at [url]https://www.homevet.com/petcare/pet_new.html[/url] for much more info.

Dr Jeff

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘New Pets and Training’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!