Logo

drjeff1

Blocked Tear Duct???

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 12 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hi-
    My wife and I own a Cairn Terrier that I have noticed has a bump on the very top of his lower eyelid for about the past year. When we took him into the vet about a year ago, our vet said she thought it was a blocked duct and that we should pop it every once in awhile to let the puss out. She did it during the checkup and some white discharge came out. She also added that if it was too gross for my wife and I to do on a regular basis….that we might take him in for surgery and have it permanently taken care of (cut out>???)
    Since then, we have moved and have seen another vet that didn’t even say anything when she saw it. In the last few months, it seems to be getting worse, and the white puss that was coming out before—is now very minimal…bloody…and our dog is hating it….In the last 2 days….there is a huge amount of mucus on it and around his eye …almost like it burst on its own…
    Has anyone had any experience with this issue. Our dog is relatively old for his breed…and mutantly huge size. If this isn’t a serious health issue, I would prefer not to put him through surgery. Anyone know how I can control this better…or how much surgery like this could cost?
    THanks…
    I am new to the site…any help would be appreciated.

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=mait13]any help would be appreciated.[/quote]

I’d recommend a visit to a veterinary ophthalmologist for definitive diagnosis. I agree that surgery for this problem in an aged dog is likely unnecessary.

Dr. Jeff

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!