Logo

drjeff1

Blocked Tear Duct in Yellow Lab

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 13 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hi,

My one year old yellow lab has what our vet says are blocked tear ducts. Monte has clear wet streaks that run from the inner corners of his eyes down his cheeks. They appear to be worse at some times of the day than others. Our vet recommends putting Monte to sleep in order to clean the tear ducts. Have you heard of this procedure and would homeopathy help?

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=pruffles]Have you heard of this procedure and would homeopathy help?[/quote]

There are a few ways to approach the dog with excess tearing and/or tear staining (commonly seen in smaller and white dogs and cats).

My first question is always whether this is an excess production of tears (frequently due to mild inflammation of the eyes) or whether a normal tear quantity is just not draining properly through the tear ducts.

A simple dye test can usually help differentiate. A few drops of Fluoroscein dye (which is more commonly used to diagnose ulcerrs in the eye) is instilled in the eyes. Under normal circumstannces it will drain out the nostrils via the tear ducts in a few minutes. If the dye doesn’t drain then the ducts may be blocked.

Flushing the tear ducts under sedation may open them back up. Occasionally the ducts never properly formed or are blocked so badly that only a surgical procedure will help.

In my experience, especially in medium-large breed dogs, the more common scenario is a low grade inflammation of the eyes causing increased tear production (or other aberrant discharge).

As a veterinary homeopathy I view excess discharges ( of any kind) as a sign that there is a subtle internal imbalance. Read about these common (but abnormal) warning signs at [url]https://www.homevet.com/newclient/common.html[/url] This problem is best addressed internally with homeopathic prescribing as described elsewhere on my site.

Other supportive measures include species-appropriate diet (including avoidance of gluten), fatty acids (especially omega-3s) and other antioxidants.

Your vet will help guide you in the direction whichs/he feels will be most helpful.

Good luck, and please let us know what happens.

Dr. Jeff

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!