Logo

drjeff1

Barf questions

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 14 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I currently buy the premade barf to which I add, oils, seameal (bone meal if the barf doesnt’ conatin bone).

If I were to start making the Barf on my own. What is the ratio? I’ve heard the meat/bone ratio should be 75% of the diet. What is the exact bone to meat ratio? What is the Offal ratio and veggie ratio?

I got the dvd “Eat, drink and wag your tail” it was a great dvd I’d recommend it to everyone especially people who aren’t familiar with Barf.

I’ve been looking for some books aside from Billinghurst, I don’t need a book that compares Barf to kibble I already am well aware of the differences. What I need are some recipes to follow. Alot of the books reviews I’ve read on Amazon, that have recipes in them have too much grains in the recipes and some I’ve seen do not have proper ratios of meat and bone. I know if you have too much meat then you have too much phosphorus and not enough calcium from the bone and the same if you have too much bone etc.

Do you know of any good books that have recipes in them?

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=RysMom]If I were to start making the Barf on my own. What is the ratio? I’ve heard the meat/bone ratio should be 75% of the diet. What is the exact bone to meat ratio? What is the Offal ratio and veggie ratio?
    Do you know of any good books that have recipes in them?[/quote]

Hi Dri-

I’m glad that you enjoyed the DVD. My diet recommendations are simple. Feed the freshest food (organic is best) in wide variety. That being said, I don’t have any numbers for exact proportions because I don’t believe that they are necessary (as long as you’re doing variety). Proportions become important when you’re feeding unvarying meals.

I guess if I had to recommend 1 book it would be Kymythy Schultze’s “Natural Nutrition for Dogs and Cats: The Ultimate Diet”. This link [url]http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1561706361/ref=sib_dp_pop_ex/102-9037197-4412961?%5Fencoding=UTF8&p=S00O#reader-link[/url][url]
    will bring you to an excerpt (if you have an Amazon account).

You can also find a lot of excellent info in my diet area. Some of the breeder links, e.g. to Christie Keith’s site and Daybreak Aussies are *excellent*.

No matter what you do specifically with Ryker’s diet, have FUN!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Diet and Nutrition Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!