Logo

drjeff1

Back leg spasms

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 13 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

My dog has back leg spasms,is there anything natural I can give him ? Could the potassium level be low ?

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=Linda]My dog has back leg spasms,is there anything natural I can give him ? Could the potassium level be low ?[/quote]

Without a lot more info, e.g. age, breed, diet, medical history, etc. it’s impossible to say. How are the “spasms” manifesting? Some breeds, e.g Scotties, have an inherited form of muscle cramping.

That being said, this symptom may be a sign of an early functional disturbance of a structural muscle pathology, e.g. myositis. Only an exam by your vet and appropriate diagnostics can differentiate. In true muscle cramping the CPK enzyme (which is released from the muscles) will be quite elevated.

For empiric therapy I would make sure that you are feeding an optimal, fresh food, meat-based diet. Use antioxidants like Nu-Pet wafers and Antiox, trace minerals with extra magnesium and potassium (which may be in a multivitamin or can be supplied in fresh foods).

Good luck and please keep us informed.

Dr. Jeff

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!