Logo

drjeff1

ARTHRITIS – Sorry, it’s long

This topic contains 3 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Anonymous 11 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hi. My German Shepherd/Golden Retriever mix is almost 10 years old, and she has arthritis.

Her left front leg gets a little bit stiff when she gets up after a long rest. Although she has no problem getting up (standing up), her first couple of steps are sort of slow, and once she starts moving, she is fine – no problem with taking a regular walk, running, jumping up on the couch/bed, getting in car, etc. But I’m so worried that the arthritis could get worse, so I would like to stat supporting her with natural ways.

I used to feed her kibbles that were supposed to be high quality but completely switched to premade dog food. I’m not sure if that makes any better, but her stool has been excellent ever since she started eating it. Instead of dog buiskets, I give her baby carrots or broccoli. And whenver possible I try to feed her homemade food. That’s what Ive been doing so far.

Now here are my questions :

What kind of exercise should she do? She’s still bit on the overweight side.

What kind of water should I give her? Distilled water is good?

There are tons of supplements for arthritis/joint problems out there, and I have no idea where to start. If I choose everything I hear that’s good, my dog will get full by just taking her supplements. What supplements should I start with?

There are no holistic vets around where I live. Is that going to be a problem?

I’m really sorry that it’s a long post, but I always wanted to talk to someone who has knowledge and experience with holistic treatments.

Thank you very much for your help in advance.

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=YUCON]1-What kind of exercise should she do? She’s still bit on the overweight side.

2-What kind of water should I give her? Distilled water is good?

3-What supplements should I start with?
    [/quote]

1-Steady exercise, e.g. walking/running, swimming, is great. Try to avoid anything too jarring, e.g frisbee. Add green beans to the diet and reduce the meat to help her lose weight (lots of exercise will help too of course).

2-Distilled is fine but you need to add back the lost minerals. I would also consider supplementing with Trace Animinerals added to the water.

3-Look at [url]https://homevet.com/osc/index.php?cPath=3&osCsid=ee4580db585494165c964bea42d59790[/url] Use good antioxidant, glucosamine sulfate, trace mineral and omega-3 supplements to start.

Good luck.

Dr. Jeff

Anonymous

I had a dog with arthritis, my vet told me to get him a bean bag to sleep on because it forms to their body, I did no think my dog would ever go for it but he did. And as allways an asprin a day to help relieve pain. Not really answering your questions but just a couple of ideas that really helped my dog along the way. best of luck.

Anonymous

[quote=YUCON]Hi. My German Shepherd/Golden Retriever mix is almost 10 years old, and she has arthritis.

Her left front leg gets a little bit stiff when she gets up after a long rest. Although she has no problem getting up (standing up), her first couple of steps are sort of slow, and once she starts moving, she is fine – no problem with taking a regular walk, running, jumping up on the couch/bed, getting in car, etc. But I’m so worried that the arthritis could get worse, so I would like to stat supporting her with natural ways.

I used to feed her kibbles that were supposed to be high quality but completely switched to premade dog food. I’m not sure if that makes any better, but her stool has been excellent ever since she started eating it. Instead of dog buiskets, I give her baby carrots or broccoli. And whenver possible I try to feed her homemade food. That’s what Ive been doing so far.

Now here are my questions :

What kind of exercise should she do? She’s still bit on the overweight side.

What kind of water should I give her? Distilled water is good?

There are tons of supplements for arthritis/joint problems out there, and I have no idea where to start. If I choose everything I hear that’s good, my dog will get full by just taking her supplements. What supplements should I start with?

There are no holistic vets around where I live. Is that going to be a problem?

I’m really sorry that it’s a long post, but I always wanted to talk to someone who has knowledge and experience with holistic treatments.

Thank you very much for your help in advance.[/quote]
    Hi, my daughter found help for her dog quite awhile ago and it really works. Her dog could barely walk or jump and had problems with allergies, her skin was braking out on her belly.

The web site is [url]www.solidgoldhealth.com[/url] and she also buys a special powder on another web site: [url]http://naturmix.net/hokamidog.html[/url].

Hope it helps!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!