Logo

drjeff1

are vaccines harmful?

This topic contains 16 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 11 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

This is a hot topic which I’d love to open for discussion.

There is little question that vaccinations can help prevent acute diseases. There is growing evidence however that over vaccination (and that may be anywhere from repeated annual revaccinations to ONE single vaccine) triggers the development of chronic diseases.

The most obvious association of course is malignant, usually fatal vaccine sarcomas of cats (which is now also recognized in dogs). There are ongoing studies showing vaccine-associated kidney damage, thyroid damage, cancers, etc.

My opinion is that even one, single vaccine can act as a sufficient stress to trigger the development of serious disease symptoms IN SOME PETS.

In this folder we will discuss how to know what to do.

Dr. Jeff

Anonymous

Where can you find the current
    vaccine protocols for dogs (and other animals) ?
    Is there a national veterinary association that recommends
    a vaccination schedule ?

We are in the Northeast (USA), and have a healthy one
    year old Old English Sheepdog. He is up to date on
    the puppy shots right now. He is due for a Rabies vaccine
    in July, but I am not sure what other vaccines are
    recommended at this age.

Thank You !

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=Zahra]
    Is there a national veterinary association that recommends
    a vaccination schedule ?
    He is due for a Rabies vaccine
    in July, but I am not sure what other vaccines are
    recommended at this age.[/quote]

There currently is no “official” recommendation. Personally I recommend less than the current minimum. The *general* consensus is to boost twice as a pup (12 and 16 weeks) and then again 1 year later. Then every three years.

Personally I recommend rabies vaccination as required by law and that’s it (except under extenuating circumstances).

Any other thoughts?

Anonymous

Dr. Jeff,

There are so many points of view on this issue discussed
    on the internet, I was more confused after the research !

Thank you for sharing your view on the vaccine issue.
    I agree on giving only what is required.

Great forum, thanks for providing this wonderful informative
    and educational site !

Anonymous

After we adopted a 1 1/2 year old lab we brought him to the vet and he was vaccinated with everything that was required. 3 months later he came down with a horrible ear infection that became a constant problem for over 2 years. Yes, we vacinnated ( not aware that the shots may be the culprit) the next year and soon was followed by surgery to flush the ears and start from scratch. We tried prescription diets and many meds with no help. I did a little research of my own and found he had a low thyroid and I stopped vaccinating him except for rabies. There is titer (spelling) tests that check the dogs immunity to the certain virus you are needing to vaccinate for. The test results take a few days but will hopefully prevent unneccasary shots. For our dog, it has made a HUGE difference. He hasn’t had an ear infection in a few years, though he continues to remain on thyroid meds for life. I can’t help but wonder if he was over vaccinated due to the adoption and that put his thryoid at risk? If the tests come back that the dog is not immune to the disease than I would vaccinate. The tieter tests are fairly inexpensive and worth every penny.

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=gail]The tieter tests are fairly inexpensive and worth every penny.[/quote]

Hi Gail-

Just for clarification. “Protective” antibody titers do not=protection from disease. The immunology (study of the immune system) that explains this is too complex for a short message I’m afraid.

Titers are indeed the best way that we have to reassure ourselves that the innoculations from two, three, or more years ago are still “effective”. Realize however that is the strength of the immune system that protects against disease, not a protective titer.

One animal with no titer may remain well while another who has a protective titer gets ill during an epidemic (say a kennel cough outbreak at the groomer or kennel).

In addition to the titers you need to do everything possible to foster a strong immune system. A healthy lifestyle (fresh species-appropriate food, outdoor exercise, minimal vaccinations, no symptom suppression and homeopathic treatment) will protect against both acute and chronic degenerative diseases.

No matter what you do, do NOT suppress symptoms. Inevitably more serious or chronic recurring diseases will result. [i]Work through[/i] all symptoms with a vet homeopath. For ear inflammations this means keeping the ear free of discharge without using drying agents (like alcohol which will help slow down the discharge without addressing the underlying problem). At the same time work with your vet homeopath to treat the internal imbalance and slowly the ear problem will resolve.

Good luck.

Tony Scott
    Keymaster

My sister and myself do not believe in yearly vaccinations as long as the cat is indoor only. We get the initial vaccines when they are kittens and that is it. I am very interested in going “natural” regarding the care of my 3 cats. UTI is so common in male cats, too common, it has to be because of the food. Years ago, there was no such thing as cat food in stores and my mom fed her cat liver and table scraps. I just want my cat to be healthy again and all of them to be at an ideal weight. i have to find the correct food, etc. and slowly switch them over to a healthier food. in the meantime i need help with getting my male cat’s health back to 100% with this uti/cystitis or lower urinary infection. (he’s straining in the litterbox, frequent trips and drops of urine/blood) taking him to the vet tomorrow but after this is completed i want to treat him naturally to maintain his urinary health.

Tony Scott
    Keymaster

Question… Are the puppers to be boosted at 1 yr of age or 1 year from their last puppy shot?
    Thanks…confused
    Diane 🙄

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=Cassie’s mama]Question… Are the puppers to be boosted at 1 yr of age or 1 year from their last puppy shot?
    [/quote]

If you decide to vaccinate your adult dog then it should be done at 1 year from the last booster for maximal effect.

Tony Scott
    Keymaster

OOOPS…it is a puppy 16 weeks…she has had the complete series of puppy shots & will get a rabies soon! I do not want to vaccinate if at all possible…
    Thanks!

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=Cassie’s mama] I do not want to vaccinate if at all possible…
    [/quote]

The decision about whether to vaccinate (or not) is really a question of risk assessment. Is your puppy at high risk (going to dog shows, exposure to lots of unknown dogs, frequent trips to the groomer or vet hospital)? Is she a toy dog that barely goes outside?

Personally I follow the minimal vaccination protocol for my clients that insist on vaccinating their puppies and kittens. A core (Distemper/Parvo) vacccine is given at 10-12 weeks of age. One booster follows in about 1 month and then again in 1 year (from the last vaccination).

The practice of routine annual “boosting” of vacccinations is no longer followed by any of the university vet schools. That’s because they are beginning to realize that these “benign” health maintenance can cause cancer, immune disruption and many chronic diseases. Holistic doctors however have known for many years how harmful over vaccination can be.

Read my document about raising a holistic pet [url]https://www.homevet.com/newclient/rules.html[/url] for more general guidelines about healthy puppy rearing. The documents in my vaccination area of the info center will provide many more details about vaccination.

Above all, love and enjoy your puppy.

Tony Scott
    Keymaster

I do believe that my cat Smokey acquired Thyroid problems associated with vaccinations. My cat had over active thryoid and had small white bumps on the front of her mouth and under her chin. One of these bumps were tested and found to have cancer cells them.

My next cat will not be over vaccinated at all. I just had to have my Smokey put to sleep on September 14, 2005, and do not wish this kind of grief on anyone. I am in alot of pain and do not know if I will ever get over the death of my precious Smokey.

My father is giving me his two 11 year old cats, and I am going to take them to vet to only get an examination and blood work to see how they are doing. No vaccinations for next two cats.

If anyone would like to email me about this topic and about grieving, please email me at [email][email protected][/email]

Tony Scott
    Keymaster

My 18 month old boxer has had all her puppy shots and was due in July for her anual set of shots, well I never took her to get them done because she has had really bad allergies and now have seemed to think she migh be allergic to mold. My question is I live in Southwestern Ontario 45 mins from the Detroit border crossing and it is mandatory to have rabies shot to cross the border. I have heard that rabies is good for 7 years but how do you get a vet to write 7 years on the vaccine slip, also what can you give the dog to help her immune system after she gets the shot.

Cathy

Anonymous

I have two siamese cats who are 8 years old. They are indoor cats and are never outside. Do they need rabies shots? Is it a Connecticut state law that they HAVE to have them, or not? I was told by someone that it is a law, so I haven’t been to my usual vet.

Jane

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=Janeinwestport]Is it a Connecticut state law that they HAVE to have them, or not? [/quote]

Hi Jane-

Unfortunately it is state law. What you choose to do however…

Dr. Jeff

Anonymous

I adopted (well, more like bought) a 5 month old beagle a couple weeks ago from a woman, but she has failed to provide me with a vaccination record for the pup, which she “claims” to have. She had also claimed to purchase the pup from a pet store. She had said that the puppy was up to date on all her shots, but we don’t have proof. We want to get her spayed, but they would like us to provide a vaccination record. How harmful would it be to the puppy if she were to be vaccinated again for all the so-called vaccinations she supposedly already had? Including the rabies vaccination. Trying to get those records may be a lost cause already.

Anonymous

Dr Jeff, I’m new to this site. I found it because immediately after my 9 yr old lab mix had vaccines a year ago he developed lumps. I took him back to the vet who said it was nothing, probably a fibroid or bruise. Now they are growing and another has appeared. I am in a new city, Grand Rapids, MI, and don’t know where to bring him. I don’t want to visit another traditional vet and get the same attitude. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much, AM

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

The forum ‘Vaccination Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!