Logo

drjeff1

Anemia and high globulins (feline)

This topic contains 1 reply, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 13 years ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hello all!

I’m new here. My cat Charlie is approx 3 years old. Last sept I noticed he was acting a little lethargic so I took him to the vet. They determined he was anemic but didn’t know why. All of the tests they ran came up negative (FIV, FeLV, and many more. Well, they put him on prednisone and amoxicillin. He responded immediately. His red cell count went up a week later and within a month, his levels were back to normal. We weened him off of the prednisone and he was med-free. Here we are in June; 8 months later and I notice he (may) be acting a little lethargic again. I proactively take him to the vet. They do more bloodwork and determine he has slight anemia and higher globulin levels (approx 7.3). They prescribe pred and amox again. Once again he responds immediately. He is once again eating with normal enthusiasm and chasing his tail and the other cats around the house. I am happy that Charlie is feeling better. However, I get the feeling we are just treating symptoms and not addressing the underlying problem; whatever that may be. While I wait to test for this, that, and a little more this & that, is there anything else I can do in order to help out? We feed them premium food (Innova EVO dry and California Natural feline dry. I am beginning to think that either vets only know to prescribe steroids and antibiotics, or they know but don’t want to say, or they just have no clue.

Any thoughts etc are much appreciated.

Mike

Anonymous

Hi again,

Today the vet confirmed that the recent bloodwork was similar to last time (about 10 months ago). He said he is happy that Charlie is responding well clinically to the pred and amox and concluded that because we have ruled out many possible causes for his condition, this is a mystery. He recommended a bone marrow aspirate. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Mike

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!