Logo

drjeff1

Alternatives to Frontline

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Anonymous 14 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I am looking for an alternative to using Frontline on my dogs. I had Lyme in my system that went undiagnosed for nearly 10 years and I became quite ill for about 3. I am finally back on my feet, but now use Frontline on my dogs and cat since we all sleep together and hang together.
    Also, I don’t want them getting Lyme.
    Does anyone know of a natural, effective alternative to Frontline. I’ve tried oils and things in the past, but they did not work very well.
    Thanx!

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=earthylovesdogs]I am looking for an alternative to using Frontline on my dogs.[/quote]

The best organic Lyme prevention is a thorough, daily inspection and removal of the ticks (I love my Trix tick remover for this purpose).

That being said, I realize that it’s virtually impossible to find and remove all of the ticks (especially in the Spring when the tiny nymphs are out).

Remember that only a small percentage of all ticks actually carry sufficient organisms to cause the disease. Also, they need to be attached for 24-48 hours in order for the organism to be transmitted (which is why *daily* tick checks are soo important).

Only a healthy immune system is going to prevent Lyme. Over 90% of all dogs in my part of CT are exposed to the disease (as seen by “positive” Lyme titers). The vast majority of these dogs never get sick because their immune systems are doing its’ job.

When a dog is *truly* sick with Lyme Disease, it is easily treated with homeopathy (or antibiotics if you don’t have a homeopath). My own severe (confirmed) Lyme meningitis was resolved within hours when I was given the correct homeopathic remedy by my doctor (5 years ago).

Anyway, a discussion of Lyme is another topic for another day. In my practice I use a powder designed to help the body detoxify which as a “side effect” also kills ticks. It is called Detox powder. The only downside is that it is chalky so some dogs won’t eat it readily when it is mixed in the food.

Other effective preventatives I have found are Ark Naturals Neem Protect spray and Vetline Yeast and Liver powder.

There are other environmental factors that can help include creating a tick free zone of wood chips around your yard. Your local health department should be able to help you with this.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Anonymous

Thanx for the reply. Before I was diagnose with Lyme and it crossed the blood barrior into my brain, making me beyond ill for 3 years and many months where I could barely walk and most of the time could barely function, and yes there were the round after round off antibiotic, but it wasn’t until I did energy work with someone that I began clearing it from my system. I mention this because prior to that I did what you suggest, however I live in the middle of the woods and I removed from 15 to 25 ticks a day, nearly every day from each dog. After I found that I had Lyme over and over again, I started using Frontline since the ticks were also crawling around in my bed a night. In the past, the dogs have both tested positive for Lyme and have done the antibiotics and also Kroeger Herbs product “Spirokete” which helps tremendously. I will stick with the Frontline for now because I have been off antibiotics for 15 months now and for the first time in over 5 years feel like I could feel really healthy and good again, and the dogs have had negative test for Lyme the last 6 months. My vet tests them every 6 months along with Heartworm since we don’t do Heartworm preventative.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The forum ‘Fleas, Ticks and other Parasites’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!