Logo

drjeff1

Allergic Dog

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 4 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hi

After blood tests, we found out that my dog has numerous food allergies (Pork, beef, maize, corn, soya, peas, potato, wheat are the ones I can think of at the moment). We were advised to put her on a new diet, so we found one that contained none of the allergens. It is a raw diet, containing chicken, carrots, apple, kelp, spinach and squash and salmon oil. My dog seemed to do really well for a whicle, but then after about 8 weeks, she went back to having the same allergy symptoms (itching, weepy eye, not eating, sickness). So we have changed it again, to something else. My question is, if I have a dog with a tendency to become allergic to things, how do I keep her on an exclusion diet, without her then becoming allergic to this? Is it not better to use new foods in a cycle, so as not to give her body time to react to it? So, for example, five new foods, each fed for a week, then change to the next one, and so on.
    Many Thanks

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

Great question! This is a common phenomenon. Avoiding allergic triggers often helps at first but then stops helping. Why, and what to do?

Avoiding the triggers is only a temporary fix because the underlying immune phenomena are not being treated. Allergic symptoms result when the immune system is hyper-active.

The longest-lasting treatment is to rebalance the immune system so that allergic triggers no longer cause symptoms. In your pup’s case, eliminating the triggers only temporarily relieves the symptoms which then recur.

Homeopathic treatment of the patient with allergy symptoms is my treatment of choice. I find that not only do symptoms resolve and stay resolved, but these patients often improve in other, unexpected ways. Fears and behavior issues, chronic gastroenteritis, etc. are all being treated when the whole individual is considered.

My bottom line is to add a trained vet homeopath to your vet care team. S/he will help both with minimizing triggers as well as treating the underlying immune imbalance.

In the meantime, you’ll find some general holistic treatment recommendations [url=https://www.homevet.com/pet-care-library/item/386-could-my-pet-have-allergies?-if-so-what-can-i-do-about-them?]here[/url] and elsewhere in my immune mediated diseases library.

Be well.

Dr. Jeff

Anonymous

Well good details about the allergic dogs here I have found. I tried lots of [url=http://www.petrx2go.com/browse.php?id=1]meds pet[/url] of allergy and by the end I got the good thing.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!