Logo

drjeff1

Adding a new kitten(s)

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 14 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

We recently lost one of our cats to kidney disease. We still have 1 male cat and a lab. I am thinking about adding another cat to the family. I know of someone who’s cat is expecting any day and am contemplating taking 1-2 of the kittens. I am not against an older cat either. I just know this person and these cats will prbably not be fixed as they should. My question is to add 1 or 2 and what is the best number and sex? Is their a science to this or does anything go? I look forward to any thoughts anyone might have.

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=gail] My question is to add 1 or 2 and what is the best number and sex? Is their a science to this or does anything go? [/quote]

Good morning Gail-

I’m so sorry about the loss of your cat with kidney disease. A new kitten (or two) will definitely enliven your household!

My main question is how social is your other cat? Is he territorial, aggressive, or accepting of other cats? Usually dogs (who have lived with cats) acept new cats without any problems.

As far as getting one or two, that’s really a personal decision. Is your other cat young and/or playful? If so he might enjoy the presence of a rambunctious kitten (who will probably try to engage him in play relentlessly as kittens often do). If he is older and would rather not play all of the time then you might be bettter off getting two kittens at once. That way they’ll rough and tumble play with each other.

Regarding sex, well that also depends. Males [i]tend[/i] to be a little more outgoing but also can get a urinary obstruction (which females don’t get though both sexes can get FLUTD). You will also spend more to spay a female (and especially two) than a male.

No matter what you decide, enjoy your new babies and give them lots of TLC.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘New Pets and Training’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!