Logo

drjeff1

2.5 yr. old male cat dealing with cystitis

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Marcel is a 2.5yr. old male cat that is having trouble urinating. We took him to his vet yesterday (1/25) and they determined that he is suffering from cystitis. They did an xray of the bladder (which didn’t show any stones) and did catheterize him to drain the bladder. They did a urinalysis (but I don’t have the specific results) and noted that there was some crystallization present. They gave us Buprenex 0.2ml (syringe) for pain (every 8 hrs. for 2 days, then every 12 hrs. for 3 days) and Prazosin HCl 0.5mg (pill). Giving him the pill is not going very well. Not really sure any of this will directly address cystitis itself (but upon doing a bit of research it looks like nothing is really available). They gave some basic info about trying to increase water intake & increasing wet-food vs. dry-food and gave us a sample of a special SD dry-food that is supposed to help with urinary issues. Although something was done, it really wasn’t much and I fear that things are not changing enough to help Marcel recover. The issue is how to proceed.

Here’s a bit of info about Marcel. He’s a 2.5 yr. old male indoor cat (a bit overweight, 14.5 lbs) that we’ve had since he was a kitten. He’s very calm and a great cat. We also have 2 female cats (about the same age) and they all get along really well. We noticed Marcel having issues over the last couple days. He was staying in the liter box for long periods and not producing much. He also started to become more vocal (not necessarily when in the box) which indicated to us that something wasn’t quite right. He been eating & drinking throughout and generally acting pretty normal.

Separating the 3 cats is difficult but we put Marcel into the bedroom last night and gave him his own liter box so we could better monitor things. I was able to give him the Buprenex as scribed but have not successfully gotten him to swallow Prazosin yet. He ate wet-food (we use Fancy Feast classic & he likes seafood) and had some of the special SD dry-food. He has been drinking water & has not been as vocal as he was. He did attempt to use the liter box this morning but wasn’t overly successful. He spent many minutes in the box and only produced some spots. We really weren’t given much info on exactly what to expect as he recovers, so we are a bit worried about whether things are progressing as expected.

Any comments on all of this? What other options are there for treating cystitis? I’m guessing we should be more proactive about addressing water intake & food modification but I really don’t know what my options are. Any comments on this? At what point should we return him to the vet? Appreciate any help.

Thanks,
    Chris Lyons
    Westfield, MA
    413-562-4740

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

Thanks for your question Chris. I’m so glad to see that you are investigating “cystitis” treatments for Marcel. In my eyes, you are actually trying to treat Marcel’s individuality that for some reason is currently manifesting signs of bladder irritation. Not treating cystitis, or FUS, or FLUTD, or FIC, etc.

This therefore is a fantastic point: [quote]”Not really sure any of this will directly address cystitis itself (but upon doing a bit of research it looks like nothing is really available)”.[/quote]

You’re right. These prescriptions are designed to reduce any urinary pain and dilate his urethra to make it easier for him to urinate, but don’t deal directly with the cause. The good news is that there are definitely things that you can do to help his body heal.

There are many triggers for symptoms of irritation of the urinary tract and even urinary blockage. Unfortunately, your kitty already has three of the predisposing factors) male, overweight and lives inside). The very first, and most important treatment therefore is with his lifestyle.

The best way to help his body and prevent further episodes is to stop feeding [b]any[/b] dry food. This will help in many ways including helping him lose weight, reducing carbohydrates in his diet and increases the water content in his diet. Currently however, I’d be concerned that there is another urinary blockage since he is not passing much urine. Frequent urging to urinate and not passing much may just be a symptom of bladder irritation which needs to be managed chronically, but urinary blockage is a medical emergency requiring an immediate ER vet sit.

Meal feeding (vs. leaving out dry food) helps in another important way. One, if not the, biggest triggers is stress. The most common cause of stress in cats (and dogs) is lack of mental stimulation. Meal feeding can help increase his engagement with you and the environment.

You can do this in many ways including adding spots for him to climb and perch, play with him more (e.g. using a laser pointer, cat dancer toy, etc.) hiding freeze-dried food treats, etc.

Regarding other nutritional changes, I find adding vit C and cranberry extract to be very helpful and there are quite a few out there that are formulated especially for cats and dogs. I personally prescribe those from Rx Vitamins (which you can find online including at my [url=https://www.homevet.com/pet-care-products?page=shop.browse&category_id=15]web store[/url]).

In my practice the mainstay of both treatment and prevention is homeopathically-chosen medicines. These treat the individual internal imbalance that results in dis-ease symptoms. After caring for my patients, one of my main goals is helping more, and more pet owners and vets learn about this exquisitely effective treatment.
    There is lots more about vet homeopathy throughout this site but [url=https://www.homevet.com/how-homeopathy-can-help]this[/url] is a great place to start.

You can see more of my thoughts on cystitis symptoms here: https://www.homevet.com/pet-care-library/item/381-what-causes-cystitis-or-fus-or-flutd?

Have a great Sunday.

Dr. Jeff

Anonymous

I really do not think it is a simple issue. Yes I am agreed that it may happened with lots of old pets. You should ask to expert for it. You can send your queries and problems at http://www.petrx2go.com/ they can provide you the solution and tell you about what types of medication is essential in this stage.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!