“Educating and Empowering"
With Holistic Actions! and home-opathy
Home is where healing happens best.
The original HomeVet© Since 1987



Buddy’s Story: A Dog’s Life

This is Bud’s story, or should I say our story, as they are so interwoven I couldn’t begin to separate our journey.

I adopted a ten-year old black and tan Miniature Pinscher from the Connecticut Humane Society, where he had been dropped off after his elderly “mother” had died. Because of his age the care-givers there couldn’t bear to put him in a standard run, so they kept him in a carrier, feeding him chips and cookies (snacks he apparently knew well). They were so thrilled that I was adopting him that they gave me the carrier, collar and leash and did not charge an adoption fee.


So I drove home with this fat little dog. Waiting for me and my “surprise” were Bob, my husband; Teddy the German Shepherd; and Stinky the orange cat.


As we entered the kitchen, Teddy knew immediately that a new creature had arrived. Bob asked, “What’s that clicking sound?” It was the sound of Bud’s nails on the kitchen floor.


It was a s-l-o-w adjustment, as it was quite obvious that he missed his old home and companion of ten years. We took one day at a time; with love, patience and help from Teddy, he came to understand us and became part of our family pack.


A major turning point occurred when we all vacationed on Lake Champlain. Our cottage was secluded, with a large grass area, meadow and path leading to the lake. We let him “off leash,” probably for the first time in his life. He ran, pranced and rolled then followed Teddy, his mentor and best friend, exploring nature and a new world.


On returning home, he graduated to the status of going out in the back yard unleashed. This was a privilege he took quite seriously, always on the “lookout”, patrolling the perimeter of the property, acting as our protector. All went very well for about three years, during which time we adopted a second Min-Pin.


Again on vacation in Vermont, we thought Bud was having a bout of arthritis, as he was having some difficulty walking, appeared stiff and did not want to walk to the lake.


The night before our departure, he could not stand, walk or urinate. I was in tears, trying to comfort him and pleading with him not to die.


We threw everything into the van and drove straight home where we took him to the emergency clinic. The veterinarian inserted a catheter which allowed him to pass urine. He also gave him an injection of prednisone. It was the first time I heard the words “tetra-paresis….the prognosis is poor….you need to consider euthanasia.” I said “no.” Having asked him to show me how to catheterize a dog, I took Buddy home along with the catheters, prednisone pills and my faith in modern medicine.


The following day, we made the first of many “pilgrimages” to the St. Francis of Assisi chapel at Graymoor, New York. The next morning Bud was walking and was as good as new! I thanked St. Francis and modern medicine.


Believing Buddy was cured, and in conjunction with the veterinarian, the prednisone was tapered. All seemed well for about two months, when his paralysis returned with a vengeance that no amount of prednisone or modern medicine could cure. After many visits to our family veterinarian (who again recommended euthanasia), he suggested a surgical consultation.


So off we went meeting with the board certified surgeon who had a hospital that could compete with any institution built for humans. He examined Bud, twisting and turning his neck in every direction without causing any pain. Because of the lack of pain, the surgeon felt it was not a disc causing the paralysis, but was an invasive spinal tumor, possibly malignant. He recommended a CT scan with contrast dye, which would require giving him anesthesia.


After viewing the tumor, the next step would be a very extensive and painful surgery with no guarantee. Once again euthanasia was discussed, pointing out that he was an “old” dog who had a good life. When we returned home, I fed and diapered Buddy, then tucked him safely into his bed, kissed his nose and reassured him that I loved him and was not giving up. Still he could not stand, walk or control bodily functions.


Buddy was frightened at times but, made it very clear to me that he was not in pain and that he did not want to die. He was also very proud, to the extent that prior to his illness, he would seek the privacy of a bush or tall grass when outside. During his entire illness, he continued to “go out” daily with my husband.


In rain, snow, sleet and ice, they would be in the backyard going around and around. Bob would help Buddy by bending down and wrapping his large hands around Bud’s middle allowing Buddy’s paws to touch the ground, simulating locomotion, until Bud relieved himself. I attempted this on several occasions, but Bud refused to cooperate, leaving me exhausted and short of breath. Only Bob was allowed to “walk” Buddy.


I went to our library and took out every book on veterinary medicine they had, two of which were on holistic care. I read everything I could find. One author had a clinic in a neighboring state who offered alternative treatments. So off we went.


After our initial consultation, we agreed to have Bud receive care. The all day treatments involved vitamins, ozone and homeopathy. Bob would bring him to the clinic in New York early each morning and I would pick him up each evening. This was a very traumatic time for Buddy. I’m certain he thought each car ride and clinic visit was his last and that he was again being abandoned. He looked terrible! Bug-eyed, panic stricken, panting, drooling and incontinent, he was a dog only a mother could love. This was a test of love and commitment. Although he was still paralyzed following a week of treatment, we prayed Bud would heal and took him home.


In addition to prayers to St. Francis, I decided Bud’s healing could be accelerated through homeopathy and diet. After extensive homeopathic study and research, I found two exact remedies which I believed would address Buddy’s symptoms and promote healing. Furthermore, I decided to augment his healing by making significant changes in his diet.


The transition began with store bought organic dog foods, but I eventually started Bud on my own diet of home-cooked foods. This was necessary after researching what is really contained in those well advertised commercial pet foods (whole other story).


First came vats of cooked chicken, brown rice and green beans. Not only Bud, but all the dogs were placed on this all natural diet. Although the diet continues to be a work in progress, today they eat primarily raw meat, fish, brown rice, vegetables, fruits, filtered water and daily supplements.


Buddy not only healed, but soon was running like a puppy, playing with “squeaky” toys, bright eyed and waggy tailed. He was determined to get on with living. I saw him smile.


What cured Buddy? My answer is love.


I thanked homeopathy, the clinic, the diet, St. Francis and Bob.

All that has happened has had a profound effect on me. I continue to study homeopathy. The Buddy Diet is available free of charge. I work with IMPS, a Min-Pin rescue group. We now have three Min-Pins, the German Shepherd and two cats (all rescued). I’ve started My Buddy’s Bake Shop LLC, an endeavor to provide healthy natural treats for all dogs.


I truly believe Buddy was sent to be my guide. I am now open to all possibilities.


Thank you, Buddy. The journey continues….